Wednesday 25 February 2009

Ergonomic chairs

I have been carefully looking at affordable ergonomic task chair options as I am in desperate need of a replacement for my current “office” chair. This is also going to coincide with a new mattress or bed, so I will no doubt add some observations about those over the next few days.

For anyone unsure of what I am talking about, a task chair is one designed for a certain task (typically working at a desk and using a PC/laptop) and the ergonomic element relates to the design being sympathetic with the human body (skeletal structure, muscles etc).

All things being equal, I would buy either a chair that is only available in Canada, but which has memory foam cushioning, a chair by ergo human (that costs about £450, UK) or the Herman Miller Aeron, which is generally regarded as “the dady” and that has a price tag to suit.

Unfortunately, my budget does not extend to either the price ranges or import costs of these chairs. Even so, I have managed to find a company who source from a local manufacturer and who can give me a fully functional (although bland looking) ergonomic chair for $199 + VAT (15% tax).

The chair looks like most basic office chairs with a padded (but waterfall style seat) and backrest. The big difference is in the adjustable attributes which number 9 separate areas of personalisation. These range from seat slide, tilt and height to inflatable lumbar support and adjustable armrests.

In short the chair looks pretty grim, but as I will be sat on it and not looking at it, the level of user personalisation (plus its cheap unbranded price) puts it at the top of my list.

I will make a decision over the course of the next few days and will no doubt offer some first hand observations if I buy it.
Health Blogs

No comments: