Monday 15 June 2009

Disrupted sleep

Having spent a night away sleeping in a different bed I have become all too aware of firstly, the value of a good mattress and secondly, the difficulties of adapting to a less supportive mattress than the one that I am accustomed to.

The mattress that I slept on on Saturday is one that I have used a number of times and it is fairly new, hardly ever used, and a super king in size. Even so the change from the multi material body shaping mattress that I sleep on every day to this spring-only mattress was enough to make sleeping a difficult activity.

This highlights two factors. The first is that I had clearly adapted to a less than ideal bed support and the second is that it would appear that once you are “spoilt” with a good mattress it becomes difficult to get a decent night’s sleep on anything less. This is a minor problem in itself.

Also interesting was a conversation that I had with my in-laws (whose home we were visiting) and who both believed that a firm to hard bed was the best for the back and who both genuinely do sleep their best on a very firm mattress.

What this highlights is not the fact that some people are misinformed about beds and mattresses, but rather that we all like and adapt to different types of bedding and that what works for one, or is even recommended by “experts”, may not be right for someone else.

For my part I would certainly recommend a bed with some kind of memory foam, Latex foam or Gel structure as a top level comfort and support level, but this is not to say that it would work for everyone.

It is also interesting to note how many people are dissatisfied with very expensive beds by Tempur, Kaymed etc when so many other owners (like me) will extol the virtues of these beds and argue that their higher cost is money well spent.


Health Blogs

No comments: